Saturday, June 11, 2022

From the CTKG Cabinet: Olivia at the State Capitol!

A note from the staff of the Connecticut's Kid Governor® program:

On April 26th, Connecticut's Kid Governor Makhi Ettienne-Modeste and his Cabinet were invited to visit the State Capitol building in Hartford, Connecticut. Makhi, Brian, Elizabeth, Madelyn, Olivia, and Satvik (and their families) had the opportunity to take a tour of the State Capitol with the League of Women Voters, met with Governor Ned Lamont in his office, did a television interview with Dennis House for his "This Week in Connecticut" program on WTNH, were introduced on the floor of the House of Representatives, met with their legislators for one-on-one meetings, visited with Lieutenant Governor Susan Bysiewicz, and took a tour of the State Supreme Court and Museum of Connecticut History.  

Today's write-up from Olivia is the final post in the series recapping the Cabinet's visit to the Capitol. You can check out posts from Makhi and the rest of the Cabinet about their visit to the Capitol at the links below:

Brian

Makhi

Satvik

Maddy

Elizabeth

*****

Hello 5th graders of Connecticut! My name is Olivia and I am a member of the 2022 Connecticut Kid Governor's Cabinet with the platform of Child Food Insecurity.

A few weeks ago, I got to visit the State Capitol with Kid Governor Makhi and the rest of the Cabinet. It was an exciting and busy day. We began our day with a meeting at the offices of The Connecticut Democracy Center to go over the day's itinerary. We were told that we would be going to the Capitol building, the Legislative Office Building, and the Supreme Court.


After leaving The Connecticut Democracy Center, we went over to the State Capitol, which was right across the street, and took some pictures.

After that, we got to go inside the State Capitol and take a tour of the Legislative Office Building and Capitol with a tour guide from the League of Women Voters. Later that day we were even introduced on the floor of the House of Representatives Chamber. I got a picture in Representative Anthony Nolan's chair.  Representative Nolan is one of my legislators who represents me in the General Assembly, and he showed me how legislators could vote "yes" or "no" on bills in the legislature.
I also took some photos with Representative Nolan

I got to meet other people too. I met with Governor Ned Lamont, Lt. Governor Bysiewicz, and I sat down with my Senator, Paul Formica.

It was a really fun day! We got to see our government in action, and I wouldn't trade that day for anything.

Olivia Campbell
2022 Kid Governor Cabinet 
Nathan Hale Arts Magnet School
New London

No comments:

Post a Comment

From the CTKG Cabinet: Satvik Reflects on His Term in Office

Hello everyone! My name is Satvik Nog and I am a member of the 2022 Connecticut's Kid Governor’s Cabinet  working on a platform addressi...