Wednesday, May 25, 2022

From the CTKG Cabinet: Satvik at the State Capitol!

Hello, 5th Graders of CT! My name is Satvik and I am a member of the 2022 Connecticut Kid Governor's Cabinet with the platform of Climate Change.

On Tuesday, April 26th, my fellow Cabinet members and myself were given the rare chance to visit the Connecticut State Capitol and meet some of our state leaders. Today, I want to share with you all the details of this amazing experience!

First, we took a tour of the State Capitol and learned about Connecticut’s rich history. We learned so many cool new facts! We viewed statues and pictures of war heroes that sacrificed their lives for our nation. The stories of our state heroine, Prudence Crandall, and state hero, Nathan Hale, especially impressed me.

Next up was the most exciting part of the day - we got to meet Governor Ned Lamont! I was able to talk to him about increasing the number of eco-friendly electric school buses. He was very nice and friendly. It was truly a privilege to speak with him!

Soon after, we were interviewed by WTNH 8 reporter Dennis House. It was so much fun to be interviewed and even have the interview telecasted on TV. I’m so thankful to WTNH 8 for their time and encouragement!

We also got an opportunity to watch the House of Representatives in session. We learned how they vote on important bills, and they even gave us a standing ovation when we were formally introduced!  I was able to meet my state legislators: Senator Eric Berthel, Representative Cindy Harrison, Representative David Labriola, and Representative Bill Pizzuto. I talked to them about banning styrofoam in Connecticut and including climate education in our curriculum. They were very friendly as well, and even honored me with a citation from the General Assembly! We also met the Lt. Governor Susan Bysiewicz, who explained to us the process of how bills and laws are made.

Finally, we visited the Connecticut Supreme Court. The murals painted on the ceiling were simply magnificent! The friendly guide taught us about the court proceedings. It was so much fun to learn about the current and previous judges. The Supreme Court is connected to the Museum of Connecticut History, which also had a great collection of historical items including the original Royal Charter of 1662 still in perfect condition!

I’m very thankful to The Connecticut Democracy Center for organizing this incredible and memorable day. Readers, I hope you enjoyed reading my blog. See you again soon! 

Satvik Nog
2022 Kid Governor Cabinet 
Southbury
Long Meadow Elementary School

No comments:

Post a Comment

From the CTKG Cabinet: Satvik Reflects on His Term in Office

Hello everyone! My name is Satvik Nog and I am a member of the 2022 Connecticut's Kid Governor’s Cabinet  working on a platform addressi...