Friday, March 11, 2022

From the CTKG Cabinet: Meet Madelyn!

Hello!  My name is Madelyn Sweet and I was a finalist in the 2021 Statewide Election for Connecticut’s Kid Governor.  

I am now proud to be a member of the Kid Governor’s Cabinet working to support our 2022 CT Kid Governor, Makhi!

During the election, I ran on a platform that focused on Kids and Anxiety. I chose this issue because I am someone who suffers from anxiety and I wanted to help kids who have struggled with bouts of anxiety themselves.

My three-point platform to help support kids with anxiety includes:

1.  Creating a monthly YouTube video to help students learn about anxiety, and the different ways to combat it including people sharing their coping strategies,

2.  Making “calm down” boxes in each classroom filled with stress balls, “pop-its”, and “feeling” journals to help kids let go of their anxious thoughts and fears, and

3.  Creating positivity rock gardens made of rocks with positive messages painted by students across the state.

Since the election, I’ve worked with a group of students on a project that brings awareness to anxiety.  We put together a puppet show that highlighted examples of anxiety and what to do when you are faced with it. This project was presented to our entire school and we even had teachers from other area schools in attendance! I will continue to work hard on my platform by helping spread awareness about kids and anxiety by following through on my three-point plan.

If you would like to help my platform, you can simply start by spreading awareness about kids and anxiety to your community, and also by talking to an adult to ask for help if you feel like you are struggling with anxiety. You could also help my platform by being more compassionate to others who suffer from anxiety and learning about ways they may be able to better cope or calm down. 

I would also love to hear about how YOU are making a difference with kids and anxiety in your own community! Please email me at Cabinet@CT.KidGovernor.org and tell me all about what you are doing to make a difference! You can also visit CT.KidGovernor.org/cabinet2022 to read all about the other members of the 2022 Kids Governor Cabinet.

Thanks for reading!!

Madelyn Sweet 
2022 Kid Governor Cabinet 
Dr. Thomas S. O’Connell School
East Hartford

2 comments:

From the CTKG Cabinet: Satvik Reflects on His Term in Office

Hello everyone! My name is Satvik Nog and I am a member of the 2022 Connecticut's Kid Governor’s Cabinet  working on a platform addressi...