Tuesday, December 20, 2022

From the CTKG Cabinet: Satvik Reflects on His Term in Office

Hello everyone! My name is Satvik Nog and I am a member of the 2022 Connecticut's Kid Governor’s Cabinet working on a platform addressing climate change.

It seems like just yesterday I was nominated by my classmates to represent my school, Long Meadow Elementary School (LMES) in Middlebury for the 2021 Kid Governor Statewide Election. I still remember the day when the names of the seven final candidates were announced. With fingers crossed, we were all holding our breaths anxiously waiting to see if my name would be called. A loud cheer filled my classroom when they said my name! LMES and the entire Region 15 were very excited, as I was the first student of Region 15 to be selected as one of the seven finalists. I was ecstatic to be a part of the Cabinet, and little did I know I was about to begin one of the most amazing journeys in my life.

In January, I, along with my family, my principal Mr. Wermuth, and my school's librarian Mrs. O'Neill, attended the magnificent Inauguration Ceremony at Connecticut's Old State House in Hartford, where I took my oath of office.


After that, the year flew by so fast! Let me take you on the journey of this incredible experience. Each month I attended Cabinet Meetings, during which the members shared their work. We came up with great ideas to help each other with our platforms. Samantha, Olivia, and I even created an Earth Day video in April! It was really fun to work with them in writing the script and recording this very informative video. This entire experience taught me the value of teamwork. I feel so lucky to have made new friends in this process!

The Cabinet's visit to the Connecticut State Capitol in April was remarkable. Getting to know the state’s rich history and learning about the brave warriors who sacrificed their lives to save the country was awe-inspiring. I had the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to meet Governor Ned Lamont, Lieutenant Governor Susan Bysiewicz, and some of my local state representatives. I talked to them about my platform and ways to implement changes to curb climate change. I shared my ideas like increasing the number of electric school buses, banning single-use plastic and styrofoam, and adding education about climate change into school curriculums.


During our Capitol visit, the Cabinet was interviewed by Dennis House from WTNH News 8. It was really fun to watch the interview telecasted on the local channel! I was also interviewed by our local newspapers throughout the year about my vision and ideas to prevent further global warming.

Continuing my work on climate change, I created a checklist for eco-friendly habits that was distributed to all the schools in our region. These were simple but significant steps to save energy and stop global warming. Additionally, with the help of my school librarian Mrs. O’Neill, I organized a poster competition for all of the elementary schools in my region to spread awareness about climate change. I was very excited to see many creative posters with inspiring messages! I awarded the winners from each school with a certificate of excellence and a shirt with my platform message, “Act Now For a Greener Earth."

I was also able to join Kid Governor Makhi at one of the stops on his Library Circuit Tour in September. I went to the Silas Bronson Library to talk about my platform and ways that kids can contribute to protecting our planet. I was also invited to the Kids Convention at Stepping Stones Museum in Norwalk, where I, with the other Cabinet Members, had an opportunity to have an engaging discussion about our platforms with other kids.

I was so thrilled to know that for the upcoming 2023 term, two 5th graders from my region, Maxence from LMES, and Shaan from Pomperaug Elementary School, will be Cabinet Members like I was. I was able to meet up with Maxence, where we chatted about how amazing this journey has been. I wish the best of luck for our 7 new leaders on their upcoming journey!

As I reflect back on this year, I feel so fortunate to have had this opportunity. I learned a lot, made amazing friends, and most importantly, contributed to a cause that I am very passionate about. I am very thankful to my family, friends and teachers for being so supportive. I am also extremely thankful to all the members of The Connecticut Democracy Center for this valuable and unforgettable experience. And lastly, thank you to all the 5th graders of CT, who allowed me to be in this position and supported my platform. If I could, I’d truly do this all over again!

Signing off for the last time and passing the baton to our new 2023 Kid Governor and Cabinet, this has been Satvik. Thank you!

Satvik Nog
2022 Kid Governor's Cabinet 
Middlebury/Southbury

No comments:

Post a Comment

From the CTKG Cabinet: Satvik Reflects on His Term in Office

Hello everyone! My name is Satvik Nog and I am a member of the 2022 Connecticut's Kid Governor’s Cabinet  working on a platform addressi...