Monday, December 12, 2022

From the CTKG Cabinet: Olivia Reflects on Her Term in Office

Hello 5th graders of Connecticut! My name is Olivia and I am a member of the 2022 Connecticut's Kid Governor's Cabinet with the platform of Child Food Insecurity. As I reflect on my year as a member of this dynamic 2022 Cabinet, I can’t help but feel grateful for having this amazing opportunity to make our state a better place.

I set out to accomplish my 3-point plan, which includes:

  1. Raising money for food banks and encouraging people to donate to food banks and shelters.
  2. Raising awareness about food insecurity.
  3. Starting a social media campaign.

One of my favorite activities that I got to participate in as a member of the Cabinet this year was touring the State Capitol to better understand how the government works. During that experience, I was able to meet my state legislators, Senator Paul Formica and State Representative Anthony Nolan. We even got to meet Governor Ned Lamont! 

Another amazing experience I had as a Cabinet Member was all the support I had from community members while working on my platform. For example, Mott’s helped me donate applesauce and apple juice to local food banks! 

The one that hit closest to home was the outpouring of community-based support to raise $1,100.00 for Fresh New London, a local organization that specializes in agriculture. They do a program where every month, if you need to, you can go to one of their gardens and get fresh fruits and veggies.

I was most humbled by the fact that I was able to inspire an NFL player, AJ Dillon from the Green Bay Packers (who just so happens to be my brother), to work with Feeding America Wisconsin to broaden my platform and stretch to the Midwest. He designed his My Cause My Cleats to represent Feeding America Eastern Wisconsin, which will be auctioned off to raise money for this worthy cause. I can’t believe that my brother said that he looked up to me, especially considering that he is almost 14 years older, 6ft tall, and 250lbs! I guess there is a first time for everything! 

I strive to continue working on helping to end food insecurity in Connecticut and nationwide, and I hope I can inspire you to make a difference too. I am confident that people will continue to donate to food banks and participate in events around the state to raise money. I also want to continue spreading awareness of food insecurity through a future social media campaign, so be on the lookout! I have some exciting prospects in the works.  

Before I go, I want to give a special shoutout to the 2023 Connecticut's Kid Governor Ellie and her Cabinet - Aaron, Jacob, Liliana, Maxence, Scarlet, and Shaan. I can't wait to see the work you all do for your platforms! 

I will miss the friends that I made during my time working with this extraordinary group of individuals that made up what I deem the best team in Kid Governor history! To my friends Mahki, Madelyn, Satvik, Samantha, Elizabeth, and Brian: thank you for an awesome term! 

Olivia Campbell
2022 Kid Governor Cabinet 
Nathan Hale Arts Magnet School
New London

No comments:

Post a Comment

From the CTKG Cabinet: Satvik Reflects on His Term in Office

Hello everyone! My name is Satvik Nog and I am a member of the 2022 Connecticut's Kid Governor’s Cabinet  working on a platform addressi...