Tuesday, March 15, 2022

From the CTKG Cabinet: Meet Brian!

Hi, my name is Brian and I was a final candidate in the 2021 Connecticut's Kid Governor Election. I'm now a member of the Kid Governor's Cabinet working with 2022 Kid Governor Makhi

I ran on a platform of Physical Activity in Schools. I chose this platform because kids don't go outside often enough when they are at home, and I have noticed that when kids are more active, they drink more water, feel better, and focus more in class. COVID-19 has made it hard for kids to stay active and healthy, and sometimes videogames are an easier choice than going outside to play at home. I want to increase physical activity in schools because school makes getting outdoors safe and fun and gives you a chance to play with friends. My three point platform is:

1. Ask local boards of education to increase the length of recess and require physical education at least twice a week.

2. Ask the teachers to put more movement breaks into the school day.

3. Plan a school fitness night to teach kids about the importance of daily physical activity.

I plan to continue to work on my platform by trying to complete my three point plan.  I am planning to email and meet with my local board of education to discuss my idea of having longer recess and more frequent physical education classes. The CDC recommends that children ages 6 to 17 years do 60 minutes or more of moderate-to-vigorous physical activity daily, but only a quarter (27%) actually do. Only 3.7% of K-12 schools in the country require daily physical education even though it has so many positive benefits. This issue is very important, and I'm determined to make a change in my community. If you would like to support my platform, you can ask your teachers to put more movement breaks into the school day, or maybe even write a letter to your own board of education.

I would love to hear about how you are making a difference around Physical Activity in Schools in your own community. Email Cabinet@CT.KidGovernor.org to tell me all about it you can also visit CT.KidGovernor.org/Cabinet2022 to read about the other members of the Kid Governor's Cabinet.

Brian Wright
2022 Kid Governor Cabinet 
Casimir Pulaski Elementary School
Meriden

No comments:

Post a Comment

From the CTKG Cabinet: Satvik Reflects on His Term in Office

Hello everyone! My name is Satvik Nog and I am a member of the 2022 Connecticut's Kid Governor’s Cabinet  working on a platform addressi...