Tuesday, March 8, 2022

From the CTKG Cabinet: Meet Olivia!

Hi, my name is Olivia, and I was a final candidate in the 2021 Kid Governor election and I'm now a Cabinet member working with 2022 Kid Governor, Makhi!  I am proud represent southeastern CT and specifically my hometown of New London!

My platform is Child Food Insecurity which is when a child has inconsistent access to affordable, nutritious foods . I chose this issue because during Covid-19 I noticed some of the students in our school were experiencing food insecurity and were embarrassed to ask for help or didn't have access to resources for help.  My three-point platform includes:

1.  I will raise money and encourage food donations to food banks and shelters.

2.  I will raise awareness for Child Food Insecurity, so more resources are made available to Connecticut families in need.

3.  I will start a social media campaign all about Child Food Insecurity and call it #fillthefridge to expand my audience beyond our state.

Since the statewide election I have been talking to teachers and my class about Child Food Insecurity and have told them places they can donate to in our community. For example, the Shiloh Baptist Church Food Drive and The United Way and Gemma E. Moran food pantry. I plan to start my social media campaign in the distant future and will start to make posters around my school with facts about Child Food Insecurity. I am also developing a plan to have a food drive at my school.

If you would like to support my platform, you can talk to your friends and classmates about Child Food Insecurity, making them aware of the issue and more open to helping someone who is food insecure. If you would like to help in another way, you can also volunteer your time at your local food bank/pantry serving food, sorting, and doing dishes etc.!

I would love to hear about how you are making a difference around Child Food Insecurity in your community. Email me at Cabinet@CT.KidGovernor.org to tell me about it. You can also visit CT.KidGovernor.org/cabinet2022 to read about other members in the Kid Governor's Cabinet.      

Olivia Campbell
2022 Kid Governor Cabinet 
Nathan Hale Arts Magnet School
New London

No comments:

Post a Comment

From the CTKG Cabinet: Satvik Reflects on His Term in Office

Hello everyone! My name is Satvik Nog and I am a member of the 2022 Connecticut's Kid Governor’s Cabinet  working on a platform addressi...