Tuesday, May 31, 2022

From the CTKG Cabinet: Maddy at the State Capitol!

Last month, I had the chance to visit the Connecticut State Capitol with Kid Governor Makhi and my fellow Kid Governor Cabinet members!

The whole day was awesome and really fun and I wanted to share my three favorite things about our visit with you!

 

1.    The best part of the day for me was getting to meet the real "grown up" Governor Ned Lamont and Lt. Governor Susan Bysiewicz!  Lt. Governor Bysiewicz told us all about Ella Grasso who was the first female governor of Connecticut.  We learned that Governor Grasso was actually the first female governor in the entire country to be elected to the office on her own merits (not as the wife of a former governor)!  Lt. Governor Bysiewicz even gave us campaign pins from when Ella Grasso ran for office.

 

2.    A really cool thing about the State Capitol is that there is an underground tunnel that connects the main building to the Legislative Office Building across the street.  We walked back and forth in the underground tunnel between these buildings a bunch of times during the day!

3.    I really liked seeing the legislators in session.  We got to watch them take a vote on the floor of the General Assembly.  We also learned that legislators can vote from their computers if they can’t be in the room itself.  When I was meeting with Representative Henry Genga (my representative in East Hartford) he had to stop for a moment to vote on his laptop and showed us how voting works!

I really loved my visit to the State Capitol – especially getting to see how our government works in person!


Madelyn Sweet 
2022 Kid Governor Cabinet 

Dr. Thomas S. O’Connell School
East Hartford

No comments:

Post a Comment

From the CTKG Cabinet: Satvik Reflects on His Term in Office

Hello everyone! My name is Satvik Nog and I am a member of the 2022 Connecticut's Kid Governor’s Cabinet  working on a platform addressi...