Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Visiting the State Capitol with My Cabinet!

Hello students, this is Makhi Ettienne-Modeste, your 2022 Connecticut's Kid Governor. I'm back with another blog post about my term in office.

There is a lot to talk about! On Tuesday, April 26th, I had an amazing visit to the State Capitol with my Cabinet

I got to meet so many influential state leaders and learned a lot of new things about how state government works! One fact I learned is that when the House of Representatives votes to pass a House Bill (sometimes shortened to H.B.), it goes to the Senators for approval before it goes to the Governor! Senate Bills (S.B. for short) start off in the Senate, and if they are passed there, they go to the House for approval. Representatives vote "Yea" or "Nay" (Yes or No) on each bill by pressing a button at their desk or on their computers, which sends their votes to a big electric board in the House Chamber. If a bill passes both the House and the Senate, it goes to the Governor's desk. When the Governor gets a bill he can either veto it, sign it, or table it (take no action) for five days (after five days the bill becomes a law automatically). 

Of course I even got to meet the Governor in the flesh! He was so nice and funny. One day I hope I get to be a Governor too! I even got to sit in his chair! 

My Cabinet and I also got to meet Susan Bysiewicz, the Lieutenant Governor. We asked her many questions about her role as Lieutenant Governor and we also got to sit in her chair too! 

In all it was an amazing day and I learned a lot about what goes on in the Capitol! And most importantly, I was able to talk to my elected officials and our Executive Officers about my Protecting Our Pets platform. It's so important to raise awareness of the issues that matter to us. Even as kids, we have the ability to make a difference and make our voices heard. Even if you can't meet with your legislators or governor in person, you can write them a letter to let them know about the things you'd like to change in your community. Our elected officials want to make our towns and state a better place, and they want to hear from you!

Thank you for reading, and always remember to treat companion animals with kindness and P.O.P. (Protect our Pets!)




Makhi Ettienne-Modeste
2022 Kid Governor 
John F. Kennedy School
Windsor

No comments:

Post a Comment

From the CTKG Cabinet: Satvik Reflects on His Term in Office

Hello everyone! My name is Satvik Nog and I am a member of the 2022 Connecticut's Kid Governor’s Cabinet  working on a platform addressi...