Friday, September 9, 2022

My Family Vacation to Washington, DC!

Hello everyone, I am Makhi Ettienne-Modeste, your 2022 Connecticut's Kid Governor. Welcome to my new blog post! Happy back to school to everyone! Today I will be talking about what I did recently. I did a lot! 


Back in August I went to Virginia with my family. One of my stops was to our country’s capital city, Washington D.C. It was lots of fun! I got to see the U.S. Capitol Building, the memorials, and the White House. Here is a picture of me at the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial. 


On my trip I also learned a lot of things, like:



It wasn’t easy building these places. It took builders 8 whole years to build the White House, and that wasn’t even the only time they had to build it! In 1814 the British stormed the White House and burned it down, so it had to be built again. That time it took nearly 3 years to build! 


Then in 1948, the White House needed to be fixed after so many years. Some people said they should just tear it down and build a new mansion. But Mr. Harry Truman, the president at the time, fought to keep the White House and most of its historic features. 


The White House is one of the most famous buildings in America. It is a symbol of our government and represents the history of our country. Here is a picture of the White House. I think it looks so cool! Do you?

I hope you learned something new about Washington D.C.! Remember to be kind and to P.O.P. - Protect Our Pets!

 

 

 

Makhi Ettienne-Modeste

2022 Kid Governor 

Windsor


No comments:

Post a Comment

From the CTKG Cabinet: Satvik Reflects on His Term in Office

Hello everyone! My name is Satvik Nog and I am a member of the 2022 Connecticut's Kid Governor’s Cabinet  working on a platform addressi...