Tuesday, March 1, 2022

From the CTKG Cabinet: Meet Samantha!

Hi, my name is Samantha, and I was a final candidate in the 2021 Connecticut Kid Governor Election. I’m now a member of the Kid Governor’s Cabinet working with 2022 Kid Governor Makhi!

I ran on a platform of creating A Cleaner Connecticut.  I chose this issue because I care about our State. My three-point platform is:

1.  Put recycling bins in every school,

2.  Go on field trips to the beach to clean it, and

3.  Host an engineering design contest.

Since the Statewide Election, I have invited my school's Director of School Maintenance to speak to my class about how we can implement a school-wide recycling program with his help.  Next, we interviewed our middle school science teacher to see how she has helped these efforts in the past with her Environmental Club, which was an after-school enrichment program.  She explained how the club members collected the recyclables, cashed them in, and then chose worthwhile charities to donate their proceeds to.  We ended up doing the same thing in our school!  We made an announcement at my school, and my class started collecting returnables.  Now we have some glitches to iron out, which will include getting more recycling containers or making some for the classes who do not have one.  I will continue to work on my platform by recording our adventures in order to inspire others to join my mission.  I am looking forward to my Science and Engineering Fair this spring, and the opening of our STREAM Center at Greenwich Catholic School in the Fall.  Finally this spring my class is looking forward to taking a field trip on a research vessel with Project Oceanology where we will be trained to use real oceanographic instruments. At the end, our class team will report back and share, and we’ll talk about how the living and nonliving parts of the Long Island Sound ecosystem are related to creating A Cleaner Connecticut.

We also have invited members of my family and friends to recycle and use materials that are sustainable, and we did it in a very special way. During Christmas we gave our family and friends items made from bamboo. 

My mom and I have been looking into other ways to protect our environment! My mom found a study from France that said that if each person in France deleted just 50 emails from their email account, it would be equivalent to turning off 2.7 billion light bulbs for one hour! She also discovered that each year we dump approximately 12 million tons of plastic into the seas. This ends up affecting the waters and especially marine life. Therefore I want to invite you to become aware of not using more plastic in our daily lives.

If you would like to support my platform, you can clean your little corner of Connecticut.  Reduce the amount of garbage you produce, recycle as much as you can and educate yourself and others about how you can do more!

I would love to hear about how you are making a difference around creating a cleaner Connecticut in your community.  Email me at Cabinet@CT.KidGovernor.org to tell me all about it.  You can also visit CT.KidGovernor.org/cabinet2022 to learn more about my platform and what my fellow Cabinet members are doing.

Samantha Botero
2022 Kid Governor Cabinet
Stamford 
Greenwich Catholic School

No comments:

Post a Comment

From the CTKG Cabinet: Satvik Reflects on His Term in Office

Hello everyone! My name is Satvik Nog and I am a member of the 2022 Connecticut's Kid Governor’s Cabinet  working on a platform addressi...